Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, March 5, 2010

My son has been abducted by aliens...

because now that he's almost 2, the whining and the tantrums have begun. I knew it was just a matter of time before my sweet, loving little boy was swept in to the deep, dark depths of the terrible twos. While I know this is perfectly normal and developmentally appropriate, it doesn't make life any easier when I'm trying to put a trunk full of groceries away and he's throwing an all out fit because he wants to "Pay Ahtside!!!"

I really had to come to grips with myself yesterday before I lost my mind. I realized that trying to reason and explain to a 22 month old that I would take him out when the food was put away just doesn't register. He doesn't hear that. All he sees is a closed kitchen door and the fact that he wants OUTSIDE NOW! I reached into the back of my brain & pulled out some of my "Happiest Toddler on the Block" skills and tried them. They worked...for a little bit. I tried time out, which usually always works for Ryan. Two time outs later and he was still at my feet throwing a fit! UGH!! I just wanted to get the groceries put up. So, after about 10 minutes (or so it seemed) of this, I scooped him up and put him in his crib. I needed him to be in a safe place so he could work out his fit while I finished the task at hand. After about 5 good minutes of rage (he got his Mama's Irish temper), he calmed down and I went to get him. We had some great snuggle time (which if you know Ryan, he is NOT a snuggler). Then, I took him outside to play.

So, all in all, we both survived the first major temper tantrum. I am sure there will be plenty more to come. After all, any child of mine would never live life halfway ;-)

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Uh, oh...you're hitting the "terrible twos!" We've had several fits here lately, and I really have to fight to remain in control of my emotions...it is so hard to remain calm when your child is screaming bloody murder! "Pay, pay" is a frequent cause of fits in our house too, especially when we're coming back from doing something that requires my attention...like putting away the groceries! I'm with you, girl, and I'm glad that you had a good ending to the first major tantrum!!!

    Blessings, Grace

    ReplyDelete