This week's topic is all about Toddler Discipline. Here is what my hubby and I do with Ryan and what works for us:
I started Time Out with Ryan when he was 15 months old. That's the age he really started getting into things he wasn't supposed to be into! I use the rug in front of the front door for his Time Out spot. It works great for me since the microwave (with timer) is right next to the door. I just set the timer, one minute per age, and we're off.
Now, don't get me wrong, it was HARD in the beginning. He got up, I put him back, he got up, I put him back...repeat process a bazillion times and try not to blow a gasket while doing so. BUT, you know what, eventually he learned and he SAT for his whole minute. It took about 2 months of training, but it was worth it. Just the mention of Time Out and he yells, "Noooo!"
I always give him a warning first before heading to Time Out UNLESS it is an offense that is just not tolerable. Examples include hitting me or hubs, being too rough with the pets, stuff like that. He gets no warning for those, just straight to Time Out.
I use the word, "No" a lot, but try really hard to tell him why whatever he is doing is unacceptable. Most of the time, he's really good and listens...most of the time :-) I do count as well. I use the old, 1.....2.....and if I get to 3 he knows he's in big trouble. He really responds well to the counting right now. Usually I get to 2 and he runs off from whatever he's into. Sometimes that little 2 year old humor comes out and he finishes counting for me. OY!
Overall, the counting and Time Outs work very well for our family. I am not at all opposed to spanking, when appropriate. He has gotten a few swats here & there when nothing else has worked. It all depends on what he has done and how bad the offense was. Usually we don't have to go that route and I am thankful. He's a pretty cooperative little guy.
I am a former 2nd grade teacher of 9 years who left my profession to be a stay-at-home-mom to my precious son, Ryan. He is the light of my life. One 4 year old certainly provides more challenges than a whole room full of 7 year olds, that's for sure. I wouldn't change a thing though. I am blessed beyond words. Our family is completed by my wonderful husband Mike, our cat Angel, our corgi Sputnik, & our 4 Endler's Livebearers, R.J., Brady, Duck, & Naper. I am a recent survivor of Cushing's Syndrome. I am in recovery now. Please feel free to contact me regarding this disease if you have any questions or concerns.
Thanks for the suggestions, and linking up with us again this week!
ReplyDeleteEmily
Family and Life in Las Vegas
PS CONGRATS on your new ticker!! How exciting!!
ReplyDeleteFamily and Life in Las Vegas