We all said goodbye to the old high school at the end of my 10th grade year. The new high school was set to open and boy were we all excited. I still remember the "bell" ringing on the first day. It was a digital sounding bell and none of us were sure it really meant go to class! Instead of an ourside "winged" school, the new school had 2 inside 2-story wings, a beautiful courtyard inthe middle, a state of the art band and chorus facility, a huge gymnatorium, and many other really nice features. The only bad idea I thought was the locker pavilion. Every locker was crammed into a pavilion in the middle of the courtyard. Too many teenagers at one time in a small space. Luckily, my locker was right in the main walkway, so I didn't have to squeeze myself back in the back.
I was still working at McDonald's this year and mainly worked a couple nights a week and all day on weekends. I really had to learn to balance school and working. I thrive on being busy and I actually accomplish more when I have more on my plate. I enjoyed being able to drive my own car to and from school & work. I had freedom!

We took a trip to Orlando to visit family this year. We always came down every year. This is my Grandma, whom I now miss dearly.
Cristy and I enjoyed ice skating on our vacation. Our small town didn't offer much in the way of entertainment so we took advantage when we visited Orlando.
That's me, front & center, Drum Major of the Marching Bulldog Band! We got a new director this year (turns out I was related to the man through many, many generations back). I guess it's a small world. He was a good director and really wanted the best for our band. Unfortunately, there were lots of members completely content with mediocrity. Everyone wanted that Superior rating at Marching Festival, but some weren't willing to put in the work it took to get it. We had a few rough patches this year, but ended up pulling off the first Superior rating for our band at Marching Festival in decades!! I was so proud that I could be the leader.
This is my Great-Grandad and me. He passed away during my junior year. He was a month shy of 99 years old. He was a fantastic great-grandad, even though I didn't get to see him very often. He was so wonderful to my Dad as a boy. I dearly wish my son could've gotento meet him.
This is Cristy and me at the creek by the cemetery in Crestview. Every time we visited, we always threw rocks in the creek when we were kids. We recreated that picture here at 13 and 16 years old. 







How wonderful that you got to know your Great Grandad! So few people get that chance. What a long life he led, and it sounds like he led it well!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being drum major...I can only imagine how exciting it was to be such a big part of your school's success :)
That is really nice you knew your GG. I always thought being the Band Majorette would have been the coolest! I think it's great that you have so many positive memories of your life.
ReplyDeleteWe got a new band director during my 11th grade year as well. Our mascot was a bullpup - really ferocious huh? I'm so glad you had the opportunity to know your GGD.
ReplyDelete