Try Again!
That is surely what I have learned about this parenting gig in the last few weeks. I won't make light of it, things have been rough in the behavior department with my sweet boy. He is really testing every limit possible and I have seen him act out in ways that I never thought were possible from him. We've had incidents of hitting, biting, kicking and the like. I have been so incredibly frustrated and shed many tears. Things just weren't getting any better. I doubted my ability to even be a parent on some occassions. It has been HARD.
After implementing the strategies in the book that I read HERE for the past 3 weeks, I was beginning to think that even she didn't really know my child. Some things were changing, but it was still hard. Then today arrived.
Our morning was hurried, but pleasant. Ryan had a wonderful day at school today. When I arrived to pick him up, he ran out of his classroom (holding one shoe in his hand), and announced that he had kept his pants clean all day! I praised and applauded his efforts and told him that we were going to the bathroom and then we would meet his friend on the indoor playground. He complied with a simple, "OK" and off we went! I was shocked. No tantrum, kicking, protesting, nothing. When playtime was over, I told him that if he chose to get his shoes upon my asking the first time that he would get to have his afternoon snack in the car on the way home. Again, he complied with a happy attitude! Today was the first time in over 2 weeks that he has earned all 4 stars on his behavior chart and gone to our treasure box. He was so proud. We took a walk, colored, baked cookies, and had a wonderful afternoon.
I am beginning to believe there is hope and an end to this miserable stage of development. I caught a glimpse of my sweet, good natured boy that I have been missing for so long. It may have taken some unconventional methods (according to my way of thinking), but we are getting the desired result. Today, I had a polite and respectful child using his manners with his parents. Today was a day that all the tears and heartaches were worth it. Today, I enjoyed being a Mom and actually caught myself thinking out loud that, "I love being his Mommy". That has been the farthest thing from my mind the past few weeks. God, You know what I need to grow and this experience has certainly opened my mind. I cannot snap my fingers and expect my boy to move, no matter how good he is. He needs a different approach that in the end, produces the fruit You desire. I am grateful that I have found the tools that work for my child. The frustrations from the consistency have all but worn me out. My mom says that since being consistent is so hard, I must be doing something right. Today was proof that I am.
In honor of my post, a little song from our favorite musical group (who we get to see in concert this weekend for the 2nd time)!!!
Try Again
Kelly






No comments:
Post a Comment