Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, July 8, 2010

3rd Grade- My Adventures


This is Chapter 5 of my Mommy's Piggy Tales project. I hope you enjoy learning about my adventures in 3rd grade!


Here are Cristy and me on her very first day of Kindergarten and my first day of 3rd grade. Of course, mom had to get the camera out and I am so glad she was diligent in taking pictures. I remember our matching pink & purple heart backpacks. Mine was only slightly bigger than Cristy's. We had our matching Care Bear velcro shoes, but SHE got the My Little Pony lunchbox that I wanted! See, we were at Albertson's getting groceries with Mom like usual. We saw the display of lunchboxes and Mom told us to go pick the ones we wanted. There was only one My Little Pony one and she got it first. I was so upset! I prayed she would find another one that she liked better, but nope. So, as you can see, I settled for the Get Along Gang. I should've looked somewhere else, but I wanted a lunchbox RIGHT THEN! Ah, a lesson in patience.

My 9th birthday was one of my more infamous parties. See that 6 foot sub sandwich on the table? That was the hit of the neighborhood. I remember going to Albertson's to pick it up with my Mom. It's on a 2x4 covered with aluminum foil. We got lots of stares coming out of the store that day. All of my friends were amazed by it and talked about it for quite awhile. My theme this year was Critters Sitters. We played egg races and musical chairs. My mom always did throw the best parties!

OK, see the She-Ra Princes of Power Crystal Castle behind my right shoulder. BIGGEST SANTA CLAUS MISTAKE EVER! Seriously Santa, you don't get a present for 2 sisters to SHARE! We fought over that castle like cats & dogs. We were both into She-Ra big time. I had the pegasus horse and most of the dolls and so did Cristy. As you can see, we made out quite well this Christmas!

This is me with my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Manuel. I also had her the last 9 weeks of 2nd grade when my teacher left on maternity leave. When I first found out I got her again for 3rd grade, I was so upset. I was like, "but I already HAD her!!" She was a wonderful teacher. I remember tracing and coloring our hands for our class job chart. I used that project with my own 2nd graders the years that I taught school. I was in the high reading group and remember always finishing my work way too fast. Cursive writing always came after lunch and I enjoyed it. I remember tie-dying t-shirts and our mystery friend letters. We had to write a poem about our best friend and try to make people guess who we were talking about. Mrs. Manuel hung them on the bulletin board for our parents to see at Open House. I still remember my Mom & Dad reading mine and of course, guessing that Ashley was the person I was describing.

I also remember January 28, 1986. This was the day the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded. Living in Orlando, we had the privilege as elementary school children of being taken outside into the school yard to watch the shuttle launches. From here, you can see it very clearly as Cape Canaveral is only an hour away. I remember standing in the field and watching Challenger blow up. How much stress those teachers must've felt having to explain to their students what had happenend. I will never forget that.

Here is our beloved cat Muffin at 2 years old. He decided to take over the cake box at my birthday party.

What's a meal without a picnic inside! Cristy got this table & chairs set and we wanted to use it so badly. So, our parents let us having an indoor picnic. Recognize the show on the TV? Yep, that's Punky Brewster, one of our favorites.



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I love the matching backpacks! My little girls love to match too!
    Also, how cool to watch the Space Shuttle!

    Jody - momentswithgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the indoor picnic! That's awesome!

    I can't even imagine watching live the Challenger blow up...what a piece of history that you got to witness!

    I'll have to keep in mind Santa's misdeed...I was thinking about doing joint gifts for my boys, but maybe I should rethink it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh, oh my gosh - I had that same Get Along Gang Lunchbox. I loved the Get Along Gang! Wow, I never had a fancy birthday party like that when I was young. I always wanted to, which is why, I think, I always overdo it for my kids' parties now. I can't believe you saw the Challenger explode...wow. Do you remember any of the conversations/reactions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I don't really remember any of the conversations, but I remember a lot of teachers and kids crying. I remember it being VERY quiet the rest of the afternoon at school and my teacher trying to explain what had happened. That's about all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wished I had a sister; you make having a sister sound like so much fun-- even when you couldn't share. And I remember about the Challenger, too, except I didn't have the horror of seeing it happen; even worse, I was in college and knew just how badly the country hurt....

    ReplyDelete