It has been my goal lately to see that in every day my daughter has moments of all of me, part of me, and none of me. I think this goal benefits my daughter, myself, and the others in our lives.
All of Me Time
I am with my daughter almost every moment of the day but that is not enough. My goal is to find activities every day to allow me to directly interact with her. Some of the ways I give my daughter all of me time are:
Reading to her
Building things with her
Eating and cooking with her
Coloring with her
Talking with her
Making a Craft
Bath time
Putting her to bed
I do my best to give my complete attention to her for 15-30 minute periods at least once or twice a day.
Part of Me Time
Part of me time is the state we are most commonly in. We are together in the same room, but not necessarily interacting. I may be folding laundry while she wraps her baby in a blanket, or paying bills while she plays with magnets on the refrigerator. However, she is welcome to approach me at any time or have me taste the "soup" she just made.
None of Me Time
Parents should not feel they need to entertain or play with their children every second of the day. Children need to learn how to play on their own. I know some children struggle with this one but starting early will help. Here are a few examples of none of me time.
Nap time or a quiet time in her room
Enjoying a short visit at another home or place while mom runs errands
Playing with legos or puzzles while I read for 20 minutes
Painting a picture while I send email
Watching children's programming while I do laundry, cook etc.
Peeking in on her during none of me time can be so entertaining. As all children do, she finds the most imaginative things to do. She gives her imaginary doggy a bath, and cooks donuts in her Cinderella vanity drawer. I'm glad I wasn't there to dictate her play, but rather allow her to dream up the fun.
Of course, none of me time allows my mind that extra space to find a new recipe, or try out a new hobby as well. I sense a greater contentment in both of us when we've had our moments apart, and then are able to come back together for a chat, a snuggle, or a Little Debbie snack cake.
How do you give your child all of you, part of you, and none of you throughout the day?






Hi Kelly, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.
ReplyDeletewould you please send me the email address you would like me to use to contact you more about the piggy tales project? Mine is jannajoy25@hotmail.com
Mine is squirrelgirl3@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI love this post. My blog (www.3MomsInOne.com), also refers to balance quite often. Although I contemplate the various mommy personas I want to "balance" - perfect mom, happy mom, and working mom. Your "all me, part me, none of me" perspective is really great. And reading that your "all of me" time is 15-30 minutes a couple times a day makes me feel good. I always fear that I don't do it enough. But that isn't reality when the rest of life needs me too.
ReplyDelete