Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, August 2, 2012

He's Got It!

I am THRILLED to announce that my boy has FINALLY decided that he is potty trained!! After a year of struggle, lots of stress and tears, he has done it. The journey was very rough on all of us, but thanks to my pediatrician, things are moving in the right direction (no pun intended).

The past 3 weeks in our home has been extremely stressful. I can definitely tell that Ryan is getting a surge of hormones in that little 4 year old body and mind of his. The anger and aggression have been off the charts. I have been yelled at, kicked, bitten, and had a thermos thrown at me. Before children, I would've scoffed at the idea of MY CHILD treating ME that way. Well, let me tell you, you can be the world's greatest parent and the kids are still going to get angry and have a temper. I think Ryan is going through the "Terrible 2's" at age 4!

About a week ago, I took away his Pull-Ups at night time. He had begun using them as a crutch. He would hold it all day and then as soon as he got that Pull-Up, I would wake up to a pretty gross present every morning. He didn't seem to care, but I was sick and tired of cleaning that up every single day. So, I took matters a step further. After he held it for 4 days, he was pretty miserable. Poor kid was soiling his underwear multiple times a day, but refused to push it all out. I was livid and the laundry was piling up. I wonder where he gets his stubborn streak from? NOT his mother! (He he). I took him to the pediatrician and explained our case. Yes, my boy has been through a roller coaster of emotions and stress last year. I know that had some bearing upon his toileting issues, but like the doctor said, enough is enough. Ryan was prescribed Miralax for 3 weeks. IT WORKED!

Without going into too many utterly disgusting details, I will tell you that the first few days were not pretty and I was losing my mind. But something clicked at about day 4 when he finally realized that the medicine wouldn't let him hold it any longer. After he decided to try and make me angry by smearing it on his legs, the counter, and the toilet seat, I got serious. He bathed himself and his potty seat and was NOT a happy camper. After that, he has been obsessed with pooping in the potty! He has gone here at home, the gym, and at church. I almost cannot believe this is really happening. All it took was forcing him to give up control, like the doctor said. Thankfully, I am not the only mom I know that has had to resort to desperate measures...aka Miralax...to help their child learn to use the toilet. He is now working so hard to stay clean and wants to try on the potty all the time. Thank you, thank you Dr. Lacy for helping Ryan and me. Our relationship is already healing and the anger on both our parts is resolving. His attitude is changing and he is realizing that Mommy means business. I have not raised my voice in 4 days now and I have noticed a huge shift in his attitude. We have been reading his Bible and praying together before we start our day and it has been fantastic.

Congratulations Ryan for reaching this milestone! Now you can start VPK in 3 weeks like a big boy! Mommy and Daddy love you and are so proud!

1 comment:

  1. What a huge accomplishment...for both of y'all! ;-) I am glad that he is succeeding at potty training now, that's great!

    Blessings, Grace

    ReplyDelete