Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, August 5, 2010

7th Grade: Shop Class, Band, Bullies, and Trying to Fit In




Here we go for the next chapter of my youth! 7th grade was a wild ride (isn't it for everyone). It was definintely a learning experience! Gotta love 1989-90!


So it was my 2nd full year in Perry. I had a few acquaintances from 6th grade, but still no really good friends yet. I wouldn't have one of those until late high school. I remember starting Junior High and wondering which group of girls would allow me into their "circle". I tried out a few, knew where I wasn't welcome, and eventually found some friends in M, J, & R. We stuck together pretty well. We also had a lot of classes together which helped. This year I took Beginning Band, English, Life Science, Geography, homeroom, Math, & Wood Shop (I had computer the 1st semester of 7th period). My homeroom teacher, Mr. A. was weird. I never really cared for him. He gave me the creeps. I remember if we wanted to leave class to use the bathroom, we had to write sentences. I would keep papers of prewritten sentences in my folder just so I could escape. We didn't do anything in homeroom and I had no friends in there, just a couple of girls who made it their goal in life to bully me. They followed me to my locker, threatened me, and teased me. Nothing ever came of it, but I was petrified to say the least. I never told anyone at school, just my parents. Eventually the girls quit. I do remember at Youth Group at church (my first real experience with church), we were submitting things we were thankful to God for. I wrote that I was thankful that God was helping keep the bullies off of my back at school. Gosh, did I pray that!! One girl was chosen to read these out loud, as they were anonymous. After she read mine, she said, "WHO wrote THAT??!!!" and laughed. Of course, I turned a healthy shade of red and was mortified. It hurt a lot.

I really enjoyed band this year. We were all learning to play our instruments and I had my Dad's trusty clarinet. I remember carrying it in his original case that was so musty smelling and old. I was so embarrassed as any 12 year old would be. We couldn't afford a new case so I had to learn to live with it. I became friends with G., who also played clarinet and sat next to me. We even dressed alike for "Twin Day" that year. My favorite teacher was my science teacher, Mr. Brannan. He made science so much fun. I was blessed to have him 7th and 8th grade. We did all kinds of projects, experiements, and he just made class enjoyable. My parents are still friends with him today.

I remember wanting to be a cheerleader so badly. My sister, who was in 4th grade at this time, wanted to become a cheerleader for the local Recreation Dept. flag football teams. I went with she and my mom to sign her up, and I decided I wanted to cheer as well. I became a member of the Domino's Pizza Tigers cheerleading squad. Since we were older, our team played tackle football. Our boys ended up in 1st place this year and I still have my little trophy to show for it.
2nd semester couldn't arrive fast enough and I was dying to take Wood Shop. I wanted to make things and get my hands dirty. I made my Dad a keychain out of plexiglass, a wooden stool, and a plaque with a clown fish on the front. I still have the stool and the plaque. It was my most favorite class and for a girl, everyone was surprised I was even interested in it.
I remember using the bathroom quickly in Junior High because the clouds of cigarette smoke were so thick in there. I got my first experience with being around underage smoking. Girls were always hiding in the bathroom with their cigarettes...GROSS! This winter it got really cold and I remember having outgrown most of my long pants. My mom was waiting for a chance to take me to the mall (and hour away) to buy me some new jeans and winter clothes. I had one pair of jeans and a couple pairs of sweat pants to hold me about 2 weeks. I was mortified to have to wear the same clothes to school more than once a week. One day a girl asked me, "Aren't those the jeans you wore yesterday?" I wanted to crawl under a rock, and of course I lied!
I usually walked to the buses alone in the afternoons since I was the only one of my friends that rode my bus. The "Bus Exchange" took place in a asphalt circle next to the Junior High. Carrying my clarinet one day, the old worn out locks gave up and my poor instrument fell out into the sand. I was albe to get it cleaned off and make it to the bus...whew! One more reason to beg for a new case! In the spring I tried out for cheerleading again. All of the girls that were already on the squad made it again for 8th grade. I didn't. I was crushed. I had really worked so hard. I guess cheerleading wasn't my thing and I was meant to be a musician (how that would change my life later). I remember the bomb threats we had, the pep rallies in the school yard, and the fights in the hallways. I guess these are all rituals of the Junior High experience. I begged for the latest fashions, hoping that if I wore the right clothes the girls would like me. How much I had to learn. We got yearbooks this year and I had to have everyone sign it. I spent the 7th grade Valentine's Dance hiding from a boy who loved me dearly, but I didn't care for him at all. He was always trying to get me to dance with him. I ran to the bathroom!
I don't care to ever repeat 7th grade, but there are some good memories that stick out in my mind. It's much easier to remember the hard times and I guess 12 years old is a rough time for every girl.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a year you had! I remember not having much money and having to wear the same clothes each week. My history teacher asked me one time if a particular shirt was the ONLY one I ever had. I wanted to run away and hide! Bathrooms must have been universal across the nation, because ours was like that. It's great that you did well in wood working. Do you still use this skill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no more woodworking for me...lol! I haven't made anything like that since I took this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cheerleading picture is cute! I always wanted to take "shop," too, but it never worked out with my schedule. You couldn't take shop if you were in band and chorus and all of that. :( I can totally relate to the bullying. Mine happened in 8th grade, though, and I was totally petrified, too. And what WAS it with girls wanting to smoke during this time? I never saw anyone doing it in the bathroom, though, but of course, I was a little naive so who knows. So funny. 12 years old IS a rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cheerleading picture. I always wanted to be a cheerleader but never had enough guts to try out. And I agree - I would never want to be 12 again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! You took woodshop! Way to cheer those boys on to victory. Interested to see how music will become part of your story later on. Really, really good job telling your story and giving specific details.

    ReplyDelete