
I am the firstborn. My parents had been married for 7 years before I was born. My mom was told she would never be able to have children due to unexplained circumstances. My mom and dad longed to be parents. By the grace of God, I was conceived 3 weeks prior to their adopting a baby girl in June of 1976! Needless to say, they called off the adoption and here I am today.
I was born in Pensacola, FL on March 24, 1977 at 9:22 PM CST. I weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz. and was 21 inches long. I was born 3 weeks premature due to my mom's severe bout with Toxemia that nearly took both our lives. The doctors actually gave my dad a choice between the 2 of us at one point. It was very touch and go. Thankfully, we both made it! Soon after I was born, another problem presented itself. I was born with a condition called Pyloric Stenosis, which is a blockage on the valve that connects the stomach to the intestines. I could not eat anything and was dehydrated and very ill. It runs in my dad's side of the family (he had it too), but doctors didn't believe I could have it because I was female. This is a predominantly male problem. I was very sick and nearly lost my life again. At 3 weeks old, I had emergency surgery to correct the problem and it saved my life. I began to eat, gain weight, and became a happy, healthy baby girl.
My mom and dad named me Kelly after dear friends Harold & Susie Kelley. Marie is my middle name after my dad's grandmother Eulallie Marie Beatty. So Kelly Marie I was. Had I been a boy, my name would've been Travis Marion. Travis was a name my parents both liked and Marion is a family name on my Dad's side. Mom and Dad brought me home to our little rental house on Tomlinson Rd. where my grandmother, Noralaine, grandfather, Rex, and my Aunt Wanda were there to meet us. Snoopy, our beagle, was very anxious to meet me and my grandma was so upset that she was going to upset me! Bless her sweet heart. Whiskers, the cat, was also present for my arrival home. My parents' prayers had been answered as they finally had the child they had waited so long for.









Wow, what a harrowing beginning! Certainly God had and still does have great plans for you! I'm looking forward to hearing more of your story!
ReplyDeleteWhat a miracle! My mom had a long wait like your mom, so the start of your story sounds familiar. Glad you're here & a part of this project. I'm looking forward to getting to know you through your blog. (Wonder what the cat thought of all that?)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story! A harrowing tale but a very happy ending!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading more stories in the coming weeks!
You said you are the firstborn- do you have siblings? What a beautiful story- thanks for sharing!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great God-story you get to tell your son! Thanks for sharing :) Can't wait to read more chapters of your life (I'm part of your group from Piggy Tales)
ReplyDeleteMelissa, I do have one younger sister. She is 3 years younger than me. If you read any of my other posts, she is "Aunt Cristy" to Ryan.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's an amazing story. My birth story is incredibly boring in comparison. :) You were REALLY meant to be here, huh? Look forward to continuing your story.
ReplyDeleteWow so many stories I'm reading of parents waiting for a child! It just never gets old to hear how a person was an answer to desperate prayers.
ReplyDeleteYour poor dad to be presented with such a choice! So glad it worked out in the end.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine the stress of having a new baby get so sick especially after such a stressful birth experience!
Looking forward to reading more!