My first grade memories are the 3rd chapter in my Mommy's Piggy Tales project. Join me in reliving 1983-84!
We were settled into our house on Shady Pine Ave. once I began first grade. I attended Aloma Elementary and loved it. My teacher's name was Mrs. Mixon and I remember her for all the dittos she made us do. I HATED dittos. We had a packet stapled together every morning and I remember the first few were always reading comprehension sheets about "Nip" the bear. I HATED Nip by the time 1st grade was over. I look back now and can see why this was her last year before she retired. I got into a habit of lying about my work being done and I would stuff all of my unfinished papers into my desk. She eventually caught on afer a couple of weeks. I remember having to pull out ALL of those papers and sit to do them. I was so embarassed. It was then that I promised my future students that I would never be a "ditto" teacher...ugh!
First grade was filled with lots of fun memories at home too. Here is Cristy & me licking the BBQ sauce brush. We were probably having BBQ chicken, since chicken was cheap and my dad loved it ALL the time. We would fight over the brush so Mom made us both lick it. It was fun!
This was the year we got our beagle puppies, Cindy (left) & Sandy (right). We bought them at the pet store in the mall. They were named after 2 dolphins at Sea World back in the 80's. They were great dogs and we always had so much fun with them. I remember coming home from school one day with my mom and they had both dug out of the yard and were picked up by animal control. We had to go all the way across town to the Humane Society to claim them. Those darn beagles were ALWAYS digging! I remember the Rosie O'Grady's hot air balloons that would fly over our house and the dogs being so scared. They would run all over the yard barking at them everytime they would activate the burner.
Easter 1984. My parents always had us dye eggs. These are some of the good memories I have as a child. We were always so excited about the Easter Bunny coming and about searching for the eggs and our baskets.
My BFF Ashley and I were seriously like peas & carrots. We were always together dancing, playing Barbies, or swimming in her pool. She lived behind us so we were always very close. We could talk through the fence if we wanted to. We're in my dance recital constumes here. We were probably dancing around my living room being typical little girls. She was and still is a friend of mine. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding 12 years ago too. She moved away in 1986, but we kept in touch and still do.
In 1984, we got our precious cat Muffin. This is him at 8 weeks old...so tiny! He was the greatest cat I have ever owned. He put up with a lot from my sister and me. He was the most loyal and loving cat. I remember going to my Aunt's house and we saw a sign for free kittens in her neighborhood. I got the typical, "NO!" from mom. On the way home from my Aunt's house, we stopped and ended upw ith Muffin! Us 2 girls always knew how to sweet talk Mom!
WOO HOO, roller skates! This was Christmas my 1st grade year. Notice the HOT socks...lol! I had to wear my Dad's socks to keep the skate boots from chafing my legs. I wore these skates out up & down the driveway & sidewalk. I remember never being able to take them to the skating rink because they had been used outside. Our rink had a nice wooden floor so they didn't want it damaged. I was disappointed because I hated those ugly brown rental skates.
I did NOT want this photo taken, but Mom insisted. She HAD to have a picture of me missing my teeth. I never had the double-tooth gap up front. When one permanent tooth came in, the other baby tooth fell out. I was still cute anyway!
UGH...my 7th birthday! I was SO embarassed by this picture. I was in LOVE with Michael Jackson (I still have this record). Mom HAD to hold it over my head and snap this. You notice I am less than thrilled about the whole thing. Everyone else thought it was funny. Not me! I didn't want my crush exposed like this...ha!
Oh, good old Circus World! This is where I rode my first roller coaster with Dad and screamed the entire time. The "Roaring Tiger" was on my list of to-do's and I got brave enough to try. That began my love of coasters. This was a great day. I sure wish this park was still around.Well, there you have it, first grade in a nutshell! Ihope you enjoyed reminiscing with me. I sure had fun with this chapter!








I wrote about metal rollar skates as well! Remember that clackty-clack sound they made when you went over the sidewalk cracks? I had to laugh about the Jackson album. Mine was Shawn Cassidy and Abba. Enjoyed reading your story today!
ReplyDeleteI love it!! Seeing all this brought back those years. Roller skates were sooo cool. And Michael Jackson was HHHOOOTTTT!!! How great that you are still in touch with your friend! I really enjoyed your story. I sat here with a smile on my face the entire time.
ReplyDeleteI love how protective and defensive you were about your crush...I don't think I ever felt that way about a pop star.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that you are still in contact with your friend after all these years...sadly I think I'm only in contact with one person from before 5th grade.
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to next week!
Those are great pictures! I don't think there any pictures that exist of me without my front teeth, and I wish I could see what I looked like. I enjoyed reading your memories.
ReplyDeleteI went to Circus World once, but that was long before I learned to love roller coasters. We do have film of mom & I riding the elephant. (That might make a future post.) I love all of your long hair and those fun pictures with your sister. I'm looking forward to next week.
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny how embarrassed we got about things. I remember my aunt told me that the checkout guy at the grocery store liked me, and I was so embarrassed. I was like 7 or 8 and he was most definitely in high school or older. Oh brother!
ReplyDelete