Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, June 25, 2012

Philadelphia-Day 2


We were up and ready to go this cloudy Father's Day in Philadelphia. I had initially forgotten it was Father's Day in all the craziness of traveling. I was on the couch that morning and realized...Oh, by the way honey, Happy Father's Day! All he wanted was a day with his family, which is exactly what he got!


We began the day with an ever-so-scenic drive therough Philly on the way to the zoo (insert sarcasm here). It was quite the experience. The honking horns, one way streets, and crowded traffic everywhere. You can definitely tell that this city was set up way before cars were even thought of. I would NOT want to drive here. We parked and headed into the zoo, America's First Zoo! I was actually pleased to learn on our tour that they no longer have the elephants because 2 acres was not enough room for them. They sent them to another zoo where they could have the proper amount of space.



Aunt Cristy & Ryan had the best time. She is realizing that her little nephew is growing up and getting heavier. She can't carry him around everywhere like she used to. She asked him to please stop growing. Ryan replied, "But I have to get big Aunt Cristy! I want to be a big boy!"



The zoo had a cool hot air balloon that you could pay extra to ride in.
Ryan wasn't interested though.


There were peacocks running around everywhere. This one was in the prairie dog exhibit showing off for the crowd. There were 2 females in with him, so he was trying to get their attention.



We got to the children's zoo and Frick & Frack decided to be silly.




Ryan was so into brushing those sheep. This is the first time he's really been into the whole petting zoo concept. He even had to go get a brush for Aunt Cristy. It was sweet to see him care for the animals like that.


It's hard to see, but there is a zebra back there. Mike took this photo per my request. The zebra is the Cushing's Syndrome/Disease mascot, and for a good reason. My body now exhibits the same racing stripes. We Cushies all look like zebras.


Me, Ryan, Cristy, & Mom

I thought this polar bear looked just like Sputnik when she gets tired. Her ears droop the same way!


We got the biggest kick out of this male orangutan. He kept that piece of paper bag on his head as he swung all over his exhibit. There was a mother and a baby orangutan too. They were a lot of fun to watch.



We left the zoo in time to freshen up for the best dinner I have ever eaten. Ethan works at a fabulous 5 star steakhouse in Philadelphia called Barclay Prime. He invited us all as a special treat to dine there Sunday night. It was the perfect ending to Father's Day for Mike. I have never been to a place this fancy...nor would I care to pay the bill...OUCH! The total bill was half of my mortgage! It was a fabulous 6 course meal. We started with cheese popovers, which was the most delicious bread. For appetizers, we had angus sliders and HUGE shrimp cocktail. The chopped salad was the best salad I have ever eaten. Now I know why Cristy begs Ethan to bring it home! Fort he main course we had east and west coast oysters, ribeye steak, New York strip steak, and Porterhouse steak. Along the side we had truffle macaroni & cheese, seasoned tater tots, truffle whipped mashed potatoes, & glazed baby carrots. You hungry yet???? For the finishing touch, we had the warm banana cake (OH YUM!) and they served Mike a special Father's Day brownie sundae.


Ryan was the champion four year old! I don't think anyone else knew that a young child was in the restaurant. Yes, I am one bragging and proud Mommy! He was SO good. *A little Angry Birds didn't hurt either.


Cristy & Mom


Mike & me. I love this picture!


Aunt Cristy & Ry-Ry


Mike told Ethan to flog the pastry chef...they didn't cross the t!! LOL!!


My wonderful family at Barclay Prime


Being an elementary teacher, I had to get a picture of the Maurice Sendak home. He was the author of Where the Wild Things Are


Ryan got the biggest kick out of these poles. He just couldn't understand that people use to tie up their horses to these back in the day.


It was a fun-filled Sunday! Stay tuned for day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment